Prebiotics are soluble indigestible dietary fibers and are defined as “a selectively fermented ingredient that allows specific changes, both in the composition and/or activity in the gastrointestinal microflora that confer benefits.” Bifidobacteria and lactobacilli are usual targets for prebiotics, and changes with bifidobacteria is more likely to be seen as compared to lactobacilli. This is because there is more bifidobacteria in the colon and it exhibits a preference for oligosaccharides.
Criteria for Prebiotics
It is important to know that all prebiotics are fibers, however, not all fibers are prebiotics. Prebiotics exert their effects through selective metabolism in the intestinal tract. There are three criteria that define a prebiotic:
- It has to be resistant to gastric acidity, hydrolysis by mammalian enzymes and gastrointestinal absorption.
- It has to be fermented by intestinal microflora.
- It has to stimulate selectively the growth and/or activity of intestinal bacteria associated with health and wellbeing.(5)
Criteria for Prebiotics
Prebiotics exert their actions by fermentation in the colon and changes in the gut flora. There are over 1000 different species of the good bacteria in the colon, and it is considered a favored environment for its growth because the colon has a slow transit time, abundance of nutrients and a suitable pH. The colonic bacteria ferments the prebiotic using carbohydrate hydrolyzing enzymes to produce hydrogen, methane, carbon dioxide and short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), mainly acetate, propionate and lactate. Producing these SCFAs plays an important role in the overall health e.g. producing energy and inhibiting the growth of pathogenic organisms.(5)
Health benefits of prebiotics
Prebiotics are suggested to have different health benefits. A food rich in prebiotic may:
- Reduce the prevalence and duration of infections and antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
- Reduce the inflammation and symptoms associated with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Exert protective effects to prevent colon cancer.
- Enhance the bioavailability and uptake of minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and possibly iron.
- Lower some risk factors for cardiovascular disease.
- Promote satiety and weight loss and prevent obesity.(5)
Why Our Prebiotics?
Our products are obtained from the Acacia trees (Acacia Senegal & Acacia Seyal) and they are:
- 100% Natural Organic Prebiotics
- Richest source of Natural Prebiotics
- Functional and therapeutic food
- Protected by 2 patents for obtaining and transferring the row materials into final products
- Supported by over 20 years of clinical studies, in addition to, 10 years of consumer testimonials
- Suitable for all ages
- HACCP Registered
- GMP Certified